Pages

Tuesday, August 09, 2011

Don't Hate Me Because I'm A GooRu

I know I'm probably going to make a lot of people jealous with this post and I'm sorry about that but it must be done. I recently mention in another post that I am an official Goo Gone GooRu. I got that status by being contacted by the advertising agency who represents Goo Gone and evidently read something I said about it in some post that I've forgotten about. Obviously it was flattering so I'm glad I didn't do to them what I did to the Tarn-X people. I doubt I'll be getting any Tarn-X coupons any time soon.

The Goo Gone gal asked if I wanted to be an official Goo Gone GooRu. All I had to do to get this highly coveted title was share some Goo Gone tips on their Facebook page. In return I'd get some Goo Gone swag. To be honest, I thought this was some kind of hokey spam thing but I like Goo Gone and I don't mind telling people about products that I like so I agreed to be a GooRu. I figured I'd share maybe one or two tips but I wasn't going to invest a lot of energy into it until I got the swag I was promised. And that's not because I was being greedy, it's because I still wasn't sure this whole thing was legit. I've seen companies deceive consumers to get free market research so it wouldn't have surprised me to find that this was something similar.

I was surprised that the gal who first contacted me kept in touch with me and sent updates as to the status of the swag shipments. She even asked my t-shirt size. I started to think I might actually get some free stuff from them.

In her last correspondence, the marketing gal said that the packages had been shipped but it could be 4 weeks before I received it. That was on a Friday. The following Tuesday Fed Ex dropped a Goo Gone goodie bag on my doorstep! I just love it when people do what they say they're going to do. That's so rare.

Here are the contents of my Goo Gone goodie bag. Try not to be too envious. Even though I'm a GooRu, I'm still human just like you. Well, just like you only better.  

As you can see, I received a Goo Gone tote bag full of highly collectible Goo Gone paraphernalia. I haven't worn my t-shirt yet, I'm waiting to debut it at just the right special event.


Although my letter wasn't handwritten and personalized like I thought it should be, it was printed on a nice glossy paper so I'll give points for that.


I will also award extra bonus points for the bumper sticker which I must admit is extremely clever and the marketing genius who came up with it deserves a pat on the back. However, I was slightly disappointed to receive a tiny bottle of Goo Gone instead of the full size product. The tiny bottle might have been more tolerable if a $1 off coupon for a full size bottle had accompanied it but it did not. Goo Gone should have consulted me before they made that little faux pas.


Next to the bumper sticker my favorite item in the goodie bag has to be this scraper. Notice the ergonomic thumb indention. I am very impressed with not only its functionality but with the overall design of the piece which is pleasing to the eye as well as to the touch. Kudos Goo Gone! I also received 5 Goo Gone rags which I will use as my designated sticky removal rags. That was a very thoughtful and useful item to include.


I have to say that I am very pleased with my Goo Gone swag and I will fulfill my obligation to share my Goo Gone success stories. I actually have them on a regular basis since I frequent thrift stores who like to price their items with a grease pencil instead of a price tag. This is an effective way to keep shoppers from switching price tags on items (shameful as it may be I'm sure it happens) but it's a royal pain to get the grease pencil off some items, especially wood. All I can say is thank God for Goo Gone, otherwise these items would be ruined and I would be out tens of dollars. 

No comments: